These Monmouth county homeowners wanted to make big changes to their kitchen, and add an addition to their bed-bath-closet area. They hired Design Build Planners to create remodeling designs to suit all of their needs.
The kitchen remodeling plan called for a removal of the kitchen/dining room wall, and the closing off of the door to the garage. Also included in the kitchen remodel was the usage of approximately 18″ of the dining room space. Next, a 7’ x 20’ addition at rear of existing bed-bath-closet was to be added. The two existing closets were also going to be combined in order to create a master closet.
The full remodeling design scope is detailed below. Included are some optional upgrades.
- Remove dining room/kitchen wall
- Close door to the garage
- Remodel kitchen using approximately 18” of dining room space
- Relocate refrigerator and range/microwave
- Add cabinetry at garage door close
- Add island/peninsula where kitchen table is
- Build a wall across the garage holding the front side of the chimney
- Reconfigure rear left corner of the home to have a mud room area (at sliding door), laundry area, three fixture bath, and storage closet
- Three fixture bath to have large shower with bench and tile to the ceiling and on floor
- Brick pattern tile floor in kitchen, laundry room, and mud room
- Standard tile in back bathroom
- Hardwood floor in dining room and hall
- New base molding for areas with new floor
- Make door from kitchen 36” pocket door (reframe as needed)
- 7’ x 20’ addition at rear of existing bed-bath-closet
- Combine existing bedroom closets and additional space for one master walk in closet
- Combine new and existing space into a four fixture bath with separate tub and shower
- Shower area to have tile to the ceiling and other areas tile to 4’
- Tile on bathroom and shower floor
- Wood floor in bedroom and closet
- Glass enclosure for shower
- Bathroom to have master and hall doors
- Grab bars in shower
- Build new closet in front bedroom
- Match siding and roofing as close as possible
- Expand kitchen and add island with a sink in it
- Add an exhaust hood and a microwave drawer
- Tile in new kitchen/dining space
- Upgraded lighting
- Add two-sided fireplace in living room/dining area
- Add built ins to living room
- New wood flooring in living room
- Lighting package in living room
- Add coat closet to the living room
- Reconfigure master bath to have shower only, added urinal, added second sink
- Awning window in master bath
The homeowners style preferences were for a timeless look and finishes. They drew their inspiration from kitchen projects featured on Houzz.com. The design options are a result of homeowners online research combined with an in-home consultation with Design Build Planners. There is also a proprietary profile checklist that homeowners fill out that depicts their lifestyle and kitchen use. After compiling this information, Design Build Planners incorporates their construction knowledge and design creativity for the space with a focus on the budget and overall investment.
The project will be built by Mark of Excellence Remodeling, a DBP Preferred Remodeler.
At the top is a dollhouse overview of the project. Below are a couple of before photos of the existing space. Also below are the final computer designs created by Jason Parsons, a Certified Kitchen and Bath Remodeler.
New Jersey’s Premier Project Designers
The Design Build Planners provide homeowners remodeling project design and development throughout New Jersey. Virtual project designs are also available for homeowners and qualified remodelers outside New Jersey. Projects include bathrooms, kitchens, basements, outdoor living spaces, additions, master suites, add-a-levels, exterior makeovers, and new home construction.