This is AnnahMarie and Becca.
Today, Organic Gurlz Gardens of Fort Wayne, Indiana will be sharing a recipe for Mommy’s yummiest, recipe for broccoli leaves! Yes, the broccoli leaves, we’re not referring to the head or stem for this particular recipe.
You will need:
- 3 tbsp. grape seed oil
- 1 Large sweet onion
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 3 cups fresh from-the-garden-broccoli leaves
- 2 tsp. palm sugar
- 2.5 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cranberries
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
There is nothing like, fresh Broccoli leaves from your Organic Garden! The taste is exceptional.
These Broccoli leaves will enhance the flavor of many meals you cook in your kitchen.
Best outcome for your garden is Organic Gurlz Gardens!
We guarantee the raised garden beds for 5 years, with maintenance and care.
- Wash broccoli leaves thoroughly and remove stem. (Becca from Organic Gurlz Gardens suggests to leave the stem on. The stem adds a nice crunch to dish.)
- Then Soak leaves in a separate bowl of ice water (Soak them for approx. 5 minutes)
- The next step is to Drain the leaves, and lightly pat them dry.
- Roll leaves and cut into strips. When finished it should have the appearance of noodles strips.
- Once leaves begun to heat, be very cautious to NOT over cook! All the healthy benefits will be lost.
- Place plan on heat (medium) add grape seed oil (Becca from Organic Gurlz Gardens recommends you use Organic %100 Grape Seed oil. The oil should be warm)
- Add cut garden fresh leaves.
- Dice onion and add to pan with broccoli leaves.
- Add the cloves of minced garlic – more or less to your personal preferred taste.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Organic Gurlz Gardens recommends Including sugar to taste (sugar helps to cut the bitterness of the leaves).
- Stir frequently, until onions are translucent and leaves are tender/floppy.
- Serve hot. Or leave in your warming drawer while preparing the rest of the meal
*Send in your results, tips, photos of your prepared meal to Organic Gurlz Gardens!*
Why eat Broccoli leaves?
Besides of being a super food, broccoli leaves offer many benefits, Such as this short list of pros:
- Rich source of vitamin-K
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
- B-complex group of vitamins like niacin (vit B-3)
- Panathenaic acid (vitamin B-5)
- Pyridine (vitamin B-6)
- Omega-3 fatty acids.
How do broccoli leaves taste?
Mild, earthy to bitter or even sweet.
Becca best describes Broccoli Leaves…
“Most people don’t realize that broccoli leaves are just as edible as the broccoli head itself. This insight is without blame, most often store-bought broccoli comes in a neat little package with only a few tiny leaves stuck to the head. Unless you grow broccoli yourself, you never see the massive, succulent green leaves that broccoli heads spring from.”
Don’t forget to tell your kids, grandchildren , nieces and nephews about the Kids Oasis on the Organic Gurlz Gardens website!
Don’t have a garden? No Worries! Contact Becca at MasterGardener@OrganicGurlzGardens.com to schedule a free consultation!
Keep on growing!
“Let The Muddy, Messy Girl Build Your Garden Today”
The Organic Gurl’z Gardens
CLICK HERE to check out Organic Gurl’z Gardens on Facebook