These Union County, New Jersey homeowners had a bit of an issue on their hands. Their existing outdoor living space was hazardous. With their young child getting more active and mobile, they needed to address the situation immediately; while simultaneously creating the outdoor living space they’ve always wanted. The Design Build Planners created designs for an outdoor living space. To the right is a dollhouse overview of the project. Pro Skill Construction is building and managing the project.
Here is the overview of the outdoor living space remodeling design scope:
- Remove deck and footings
- Install a set of masonry stairs
- Tread and landing in outdoor porcelain tile
- Sides and risers in engineered stone
- Wood railing
- Build a gable framed portico, approx. 16×16
- Tie roof line into existing gutter line and pitch roof to stay below 2nd floor window
- Extend siding in gable area
- Install grey three-tab shingles to match existing as close as possible
- Enlarged framing to remove collar ties
- Install two Permacast columns on masonry pillars with engineered stone
- Install tongue and grove stain-grade ceiling planks
- Roof trim in PVC coated aluminum material
- Install four recessed lights and a lighted ceiling fan
- Install porcelain outdoor tile under the portico, extending out for fire pit and grill
- Install stone fire pit
- Owner supplied gardens depicted
- Owner supplied swing set and mulch area depicted
- Owner supplied shed depicted
The homeowners drew their inspiration from remodeling projects featured on Houzz.com. The design options are a result of homeowners online research combined with an in-home consultation with Design Build Planners. There is also a proprietary profile checklist that homeowners fill out that depicts their lifestyle and room use. After compiling this information, Design Build Planners incorporates their construction knowledge and design creativity for the space with a focus on the budget and overall investment.
Below are a couple of before photos of the existing space. Also below are the final computer designs created by Jason Parsons, a Certified Kitchen and Bath Remodeler. Follow along with the project’s progress as photos will be added.