The Flemington, New Jersey homeowners realized that they were getting very little utility out of their back porch and that their kitchen needed updating. In order to combat this, they took down the wall separating the kitchen and the porch. Next, they went about making kitchen upgrades and converting the screen back porch into a sun room. They hired Design Build Planners to create the designs for the remodeling project. To the right is a dollhouse overview of the project.
Furthermore, the homeowners also sought to make many aesthetic upgrades in their home. Here is the overview of the remodeling design scope.
- Removal wall between screen porch and kitchen
- Frame, insulate, and drywall screen porch accordingly in order to convert it to a sun room
- Casement Andersen windows, Flexi-Frame shaped windows, and Perma Shield Patio Door
- Steel full glass door to garage side
- Built in benches around the table
- Tile floor throughout the kitchen and sunroom (inlay pattern around the island)
- Cut family room wall to the knee wall
- Move mantle down and mount TV over fireplace
- Relocate sink to knee wall, add prep sink to the island
- Cabinet layout per plan with with desk in sun room (at window) and wine station in sunroom
- 36″ cooktop, dishwasher, double wall oven, microwave oven, commercial exhaust, 36″ French door fridge (counter depth)
- Remove wall from laundry room to the mud room
- Tile in new laundry area and powder room
- Re-install laundry and powder room fixtures
- Add pocket door with smoked glass
- Add door to laundry area
- Lighting per plan
- Vinyl shake siding on exterior
- Cut partition wall down to knee wall (leave enough wall for plumbing)
- Close in door to front
- Add a sink and cabinetry
- Add lighting per plan
The homeowners wanted to get maximum utility out of their kitchen and patio space. They drew their inspiration from remodeling projects featured on Houzz.com. The design options are a result of homeowners online research combined with an in-home consultation with Design Build Planners. There is also a proprietary profile checklist that homeowners fill out that depicts their lifestyle and kitchen use. After compiling this information, Design Build Planners incorporates their construction knowledge and design creativity for the space with a focus on the budget and overall investment.
Below are a couple of before photos of the existing space. Also below are the final computer remodeling designs created by Jason Parsons, a Certified Kitchen and Bath Remodeler.