The Jackson, New Jersey homeowners wanted to make a myriad of changes in order to improve their home, with the bulk of the changes coming via addition. The kitchen, master suite, and office/laundry room were all added to. Due to the kitchen addition, deck space needed to be eliminated. However, the homeowners chose to add a paver patio, new siding, and new roofing. Pictured to the right is a dollhouse overview of the project. They hired Design Build Planners
to create the design remodeling plan.
The kitchen addition is where the bulk of the work was done. In order to meet the style preferences of the homeowners, tile backsplash, hickory cabinets, granite countertops, and new lighting were added. For the addition, an extra 4' were added, along with 4 windows (two long windows over table area, two windows over sink), and a patio door to the deck. A new wall was created at the rear (the spot of the addition), and a wider opening to the living room was added.
In regards to the master suite, the addition was approximately 15'. Two closets and two windows were added. The bathroom had double sinks, jetted tub, toilet and shower. A landing and stairs were added off the patio door.
Next, for the office/laundry remodeling portion, another 15' was added behind the garage. A closet was also added, along with four windows, and an entry to the kitchen.
To accommodate the kitchen renovation and addition, deck space needed to be removed. However, both new siding and roofing were added.
Finally, the fireplace area was discussed, and remains a possibility for renovation. The plan in place would install a blower unit and glass doors, cover the face with manufactured stone to the ceiling, install a mantel, and mount a TV above said mantel.
Here is the overview of the kitchen remodeling
design scope, and the rest of the project:
- Add approximately 4' to the rear of the kitchen
- Two long windows at the table area, two windows over sink, patio door to the deck
- Create a new, wider opening to the living room
- Farm sink at new rear wall
- Extend basement stair wall as needed for a cabinet run
- Double oven/micro, refrigerator, and tall pantry storage on the basement wall
- Cooktop in island with wood hood
- 2-tier island with seating
- Extend existing wood floor and finish to match as close as possible
- Tile backsplash
- Hickory cabinets
- Granite countertops
- Lighting Per Plan
- Extend master bedroom and behind bathroom approximately 15'
- Add two closets to the left side of the space
- Patio door facing the rear of the home
- Two windows facing the right side
- Bathroom to have double sinks, jetted tub, toilet and shower
- Landing and stairs off the patio door
- Extend hardwood and finish to match existing as close as possible
- Add new space behind the existing garage approximately 15'
- Add laundry closet to the office area
- Four windows, one shaped window
- Entry to kitchen
Optional Fireplace Work
- Remove deck as needed for kitchen addition
- Add paver patio (approximately 300 sq. feet)
- New siding on both new and existing areas
- New roof on new and existing areas
- Install owner-supplied blower unit and glass doors
- Cover face with manufactured stone to the ceiling
- Install owner-supplied mantel and surround
- Mount TV above mantel
The family drew their inspiration from kitchen projects featured on Houzz.com
. The design options are a result of homeowners online research combined with an in-home consultation with Design Build Planners
. There is also a proprietary profile checklist that homeowners fill out that depicts their lifestyle and kitchen use. After compiling this information, Design Build Planners
incorporates their construction knowledge and design creativity for the space with a focus on the budget and overall investment.
The gallery begins with three photos of the existing space. In addition, computer designs created by Jason Parsons, a Certified Kitchen and Bath Remodeler
are included. There is a pending option to convert the fireplace area.
Find Out If DESIGN BUILD PLANNERS Is Right For You click here →