Mold is a health hazard that has to be taken seriously and eliminated at once. It can cause sneezing, runny noses, and allergic reactions. Some people even feel tired and depressed when mold is widespread. It is evident as black spots on walls and in the grout lines of the shower and as rot on wood that is damp.
Mold is a fungus that grows out of spores that are in the air. As long as moisture is available and the temperature is between 40 degrees F and 100 degrees F, mold will be happy to grow there. Mildew is the most visible type that grows in the shower walls, deck boards, damp walls, etc. Mildew can be removed by applying bleach to the area. It will lighten up when bleach is applied. If there is mold on wood, it will rot and crumble with time. Mold has a very distinctive odor and if you can detect that, then it most probably has taken hold over your carpets and any wood flooring that may be wet underneath.
Surface mold can be eliminated by using bleach. Surface mold can be seen in the shower, in between grout lines. For this, you would have to make a solution of 1 qt. water, ½ cup bleach, and a small amount of detergent (either liquid or powder will be suitable). Mold is killed by bleach effectively. It is important to be dressed to protect yourself when you are cleaning mold. This would mean wearing rubber of plastic gloves, long pants and long-sleeved shirts, as well as goggles. After the mold has been cleaned, you can seal the surface with a grout sealer.
Other than bleach, mold can also be killed using fungicides. There are commercial fungicides that have both mild potency and high potency ingredients. Acetic acid is a leading ingredient that is mild in potency while dimethyl ammonium chloride is highly potent. Make sure that the fungicides you use are EPA-registered ones.
There are natural fungicides available that are as effective as commercial fungicides in killing molds. An example of this is tea tree oil that can get rid of both mold and mildew. You would just have to mix 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil with 2 cups of water, pour it into a spray bottle, and spray on whatever surfaces you find the mold. It does not have to be rinsed. Another advantage of this natural fungicide is that it leaves your home smelling really wonderful!
Another substance that is equally effective in killing mold is vinegar, which too can be filled into a spray bottle, without dilution, and sprayed wherever you want. This is a natural antimicrobial agent.
Black mold can also grow on your lawn. This is slime mold that may not pose any health hazards but are unsightly. For slime mold, you would have to choose fungicides that contain mancozeb. It is harmful if inhaled so should be used only after wearing protective clothing. It is a broad spectrum fungicide.
Whether you use bleach or fungicides to eliminate mold, make sure you do it as soon as possible to avoid any health risks!
Find Out If DESIGN BUILD PLANNERS Is Right For You click here →