The West Orange, New Jersey homeowners really needed to accommodate an extra family member moving in. Further, accessibility was an extremely important aspect in this project. The homeowners hired Design Build Planners to create an accessible bedroom and bathroom addition. To the right is a dollhouse overview of the project.
First, the project was only to affect the hall, bathrooms, and bedrooms. The front bedroom was to have single access to the front bathroom. Next, the existing rear bedroom will become hall access to the new 3rd bedroom. To find out more about the project, you can find a complete overview of the design build remodeling scope below.
- Work only affects hall, bathrooms and bedrooms…no other rooms/areas
- Front bedroom: create single access to front bathroom (close off to hall)
- Existing rear bedroom will become hall access to new 3rd bedroom addition.
- Rear bathroom becomes hall bathroom with hall access – 3-fixture with standard tub/shower combo
- Back of bathroom and addition space is new bathroom
- New rear bedroom to have side door access with concrete walkway to existing patio
- End result: 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
The homeowners style preferences were for a timeless look and finishes. They drew their inspiration from remodeling projects featured on Houzz.com. The design options are a result of homeowners online research combined with an in-home consultation with Design Build Planners. There is also a proprietary profile checklist that homeowners fill out that depicts their lifestyle and room usage. After compiling this information, Design Build Planners incorporates their construction knowledge and design creativity for the space with a focus on the budget and overall investment.
Below are a couple of before photos of the existing space. Also below are the final computer designs created by Jason Parsons, a Certified Kitchen and Bath Remodeler.