There’s just something about a room that has a fireplace and a mantel that changes the entire feeling of a house. Transforming it from a place to hang a hat into a real home, a warm fireplace with a beautiful mantel can be a wonderful sight to behold at the end of a long day. Unfortunately, a lot of fireplace mantels are just plain ugly, unusable or in a state of disrepair – especially in older homes.
Fortunately, there are lots of great fireplace mantels that can be used as replacements and even those that can be handcrafted to add an extra touch to a room. Those looking to replace their fireplace mantels will find there are lots of ideas out there. They include:
* Pre-made wooden mantels. These designs can be found in locations where fireplace equipment is sold. They are typically designed to fit over standard fireplaces and can come in all sorts of colors and designs. They are great choices for those who don’t want to make their own. They can include full frame mantel designs or single shelf creations.
* Custom made fireplace mantels. These creations are generally made by special order to include any level of intricacy and design a buyer might want. This is a great choice for those who want a one-of-a-kind mantel that’s made to fit a particular fireplace to the letter.
* Stone. Stone fireplace mantels can be very beautiful creations. From granite and slate to quartz and beyond, these mantels tend to be a lot heavier than wood and they are by design fire proof, which can be a good thing. The only problem with matching stone mantels will be the design of the fireplace itself. If it happens to be made of brick, a marble design, for example, might not look all that great.
* Brick. Speaking of brick, it’s possible to craft or have crafted a new mantel that works well with the design of the fireplace. When bricks are used the fire prevention of stone is appreciated and the blending is often much easier, unless the fireplace is crafted of stone rather than brick.
* Composite, molded fabrications. These can be good options, too, but a lot will depend on the style of the fireplace and the homeowner’s personal tastes.
If fireplaces are starting to look a little run down, the addition of a new mantel might do the trick. Replacement mantels are fairly easy to find and they can even be custom ordered or handcrafted at home. Changing out a mantel, too, can be a great way to give an older room an entirely different look without having to replace the entire fireplace.
Providing a focal point for above the fireplace, mantels are often seen as one of the keys in making a house feel homey. They are fantastic storage areas for family photos, keepsakes and other treasures. During the holidays, many use them to hang stockings and more. When a beautiful mantel is combined with special decorator touches, a room can be transformed into a showplace.
Here are 10 beautiful, colorful mantel photos from Houzz.com to inspire your own projects: